As a specialist in ‘EMDR therapy for schizophrenia and psychoses’ research is sparse: there is a need for further critical examination and peer review. Case-reports and studies describe its success in these DSM diagnosable illnesses and these findings are consistent internationally. My study of and clinical experience with past trauma, when identified as an etiological factor to psychoses, and treated with EMDR therapy showed functional improvement clinically. EMDR therapy safely and effectively treats people with psychotic experiences, without causing destabilization. Psychotic phenomena can be tracked back to access suitable targets for reprocessing. The ICoNN method proposes modifications enabling the identification of targets. This AIP-informed understanding of psychoses explains pathology: guides therapeutic endeavour and is predictive of outcome. However, the more one explores the history and phenomenological development of DSM nosology for these conditions, the more we see the great overlap with disorders of complex trauma and dissociation. This course is an in-depth exploration of the treatment of complex trauma, dissociation and psychotic disorders and it builds upon a solid foundation of the ‘need to know’ aspects of psychological trauma, including its bio-psycho-social aspects.
- Professor Paul W Miller MD DMH MRCPsych.
1. The participant will be able to develop and articulate the nosological and phenomenological issues around psychological reactions to trauma; the dissociation / psychoses conundrum.
2. The participant will be able to evaluate the benefits of using a trauma-focused formulation and an AIP model for understanding complex trauma; including presentations such as schizophrenia specifically and psychoses in general.
3. The participant will be able to critically consider the available case material for EMDR therapy for psychoses and schizophrenia and analyze it alongside the current published international research for complex PTSD.
4. The participant will be able to critically consider the ICoNN model and its modifications of the standard EMDR therapy model.
1. FOR CERTIFIED PROFESSIONALS IN EMDR BASIC TRAINING
If you are a professional with EMDR training you must:
– Attach your EMDR Basic Training Completion certificate.
– Accept the Terms and Conditions indicated here for this course.
2. FOR NON CERTIFIED PROFESSIONALS IN EMDR TRAINING
If you are not certified for EMDR Therapy application, you must:
– Accept the Terms and Conditions indicated here for this course.
NOTE for non certified professionals in EMDR:
– It is important to be aware that you will not have access to the different modules of each course whose content consists specifically in the development of concepts, techniques and therapeutic strategies exclusive to the EMDR therapeutic model. These modules are located at the end of each course, so you can access the initial ones which have total continuity and coherence.
– If you are a mental health professional, understood as a Psychologist, Psychiatrist, certified professional Psychotherapist or similar under the laws of the country where you practice your profession; your enrichment will be fundamentally theoretical. It will allow you to deepen and expand your perspective and knowledge of the topics that each course develops. And it will also enrich your professional practice and stimulate your personal evolution.
– If you wish to access the courses only for personal interest and growth, you can use the content as an informative, reflection resource or as material for your own therapeutic process.
1. All the information contained in this course and platform is protected by the laws of copyright and intellectual property that belong to CREATE EMDR and the authors of the courses. That is why I am committed to not recording images, audio or video by any media, nor taking any pictures of the content either.
2. I won’t use the content of this course on any social media, neither use it for my own image promotion or economic benefit.
3. If I will use the contents of this course as a source, they will be suitably cited by me, including recognition to the author and the medium (CREATE EMDR platform), respecting the intellectual property rights.
4. My user and the corresponding access code to this course are not transferable and should not be used by someone else.
5. I have read the technical requirements necessary to access this course.
6. This course will be accessed by me only during the time stipulated for it.
7. The information I am giving about my compliance with the requirements of this course is real. I have all the requirements needed to carry it.
8. I assume full responsibility if I have given some false information or I have omitted information that excludes me from the conditions to take this course.
9. It is my responsibility and commitment to make an ethical use, within the legal parameters established for the exercise of my profession in my country of origin / residence, or exercise of my professional role.
10. The CREATE EMDR platform and the authors of the courses and resources offered therein,
have no responsibility for my use of the knowledge and tools acquired during this course.
11. If I am a professional with complete EMDR Basic Training, I agree that I will receive the certificate corresponding to my participation in this course until having presented my Certificate of Basic Training Completion, having seen all the Modules that make up this course and have completed the corresponding exam. I assure that my certificate of completion of EMDR Basic Training is authentic and I obtained it by legal means.
12. If I am a professional WITHOUT EMDR Basic Training completed, I agree that I will receive the certificate corresponding to my participation in this course until I have seen the modules corresponding to my condition and other resources that comprise it. I also will complete the quiz required at the end of each module.
13. I understand that and agree to, once purchased any course, there is no possibility of money refund under any circumstances.
14. I authorize the use of my e mail address to receive information concerning CREATE EMDR courses and resources.
15. Any breach of the conditions enables CREATE EMDR to eliminate my access to this and/or future courses and other resources provided by this platform, without any economic compensation for me.
– Any device with stable internet connection: Pc, Apple Mac, Tablets and Smart Phones.
– Recomended Browsers: Google Chrome, Safari, Fire fox and Opera.
– General framing on Psychotherapy
– Historical general summary on understanding of trauma, dissociation and psychoses
– Characteristic of a good clinical history
– CAEL model
– Dual Attention Stimulus (DAS) and Dissociative Disorders
– Integrative capacity and Dissociative Disorders
– Dissociation indicators
– Dissociation as a survival strategy
Because these are online courses you will have to complete a small quiz at the end of each module.
Taught by :
Recognized worldwide for his experience and innovative strategies in the treatment of people with difficult psychopathologies. On this occasion, Dr. Miller will present us with the Complex trauma, Dissociation and Psychoses and the ICoNN Model.
Dr. Paul William Miller is an experienced Irish professional specialized in General Adult Psychiatry and Psychiatry of Old Age. Member of the Royal College of Psychiatrists. MD, DMH, MRCPsych. Psychiatrist graduated from The Queen’s University of Belfast. He also has a private practice and is the Clinical Director of Mirabilis Health. Member of the Royal College of Psychiatrists and Professor in the Faculty of Life and Health Sciences, School of Nursing at Magee Campus of the Ulster University. He has taught courses on psychobiology of trauma, trauma medication, organic psychiatry and specific EMDR protocols (Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing) for complex trauma, dissociation and psychoses.
He is part of an international group of collaborators who develop research into the use of EMDR Therapy and Psychoses in the United Kingdom, Canada, the USA, Japan, Korea and the Netherlands. This group also investigates the application of EMDR Therapy in the behaviors of self-harming, Schizophrenia, body dysmorphia, Cotard’s Syndrome, Fregoli syndrome and Capgras phenomena. His career has also made him a creditor of several awards, including:
- The Galloway Award – Awarded by the National Schizophrenia Fellowship – 2000.
- International Society for Psychiatric Genetics – Traveling Scholarship – 2001.
- The Northern Ireland Section of the Royal College of Psychiatrists Research Prize – Winter meeting of the Irish Division – 2002.
Author of numerous articles and the book EMDR Therapy for Schizophrenia and Other Psychoses (2015).
He is a member of the Council of Academicians for the Future Project of EMDR Therapy, consisting of only 35 thinkers worldwide that will define long-term strategies for its dissemination and continuity in the face of future challenges.